By Thomas M. Sipos, author of Horror Film Aesthetics and Horror Film Festivals and Awards.
Sunday, February 19, 2012
Viscera Film Festival Seeks Bone Marrow Donors
In association with Cella Art Gallery, Femme Fatale Art Show, and City of Hope, the Viscera Film Festival will be rolling out the bloody carpet in North Hollywood, California on February 25th to host a charity bone marrow swab registration to cap off their 2012 celebration of Women in Horror Recognition Month.
Many people have life-threatening illnesses that require a bone marrow transplant for a cure. Finding a matching marrow donor is not always easy, or even possible. There aren't enough viable donors registered. Currently, only two out of ten of those suffering from leukemia, lymphoma and other life-threatening diseases ever get the treatment that could save their lives.
You can help change that.
The Be The Match Registry at City of Hope is working diligently to diversify their Registry of bone marrow donors to help more patients find lifesaving bone marrow matches. When you join the Be The Match Marrow Registry, you can save a life.
Every day thousands of patients need a life-saving transplant and are in search of a donor. With only 30% finding a suitable donor within their family, the remaining 70% must reach out to unrelated donors whose tissue type matches. Even with the Registry of millions, there are still patients waiting and hoping to find that match.
That's where you can help. Come to the Viscera Marrow Event and be swabbed and registered by City of Hope. You could save a life.
This event is FREE but please RSVP to either the Facebook event page or stacy at viscerafilmfestival dot com.
There'll be a very special screening of Ingrid Pitt: Beyond the Forest. This was the last project Hammer horror icon Ingrid Pitt made, narrating her own story for a short animated film by an 11-year-old boy, Perry Chen, under the mentorship of cartoonist Bill Plympton.
Marrow will also provide a carpet walk, food, open bar, femme fatale-inspired art, and a screening of horror films by women.
Cella Art Gallery
1135 Weddington St
North Hollywood, CA 91601
Date: Saturday, Feb 25th
Time: 6 p.m. to (roughly) 10 p.m.
For a behind-the-scenes look at horror film festivals and the festival directors who manage them, see Horror Film Festivals and Awards. This book also includes a directory of over 200 horror film festivals, and a list of festival award winners from dozens of festivals over several decades.
Posted by Thomas at 1:05 AM
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Am I a romantic? I've seen 'Wuthering Heights' ten times. I'm a romantic.ReplyDelete
I think possibly the first film that has music as its leading character.ReplyDelete